Over 75% of the world’s population is lactose intolerant and most of them are unaware that they are!
Main Causes of Lactose Intolerance
- Inherited Generic Fault – This is a generic problem that is passed on from generation to generation. This is the most common cause of lactose intolerance.
- Shortage of Lactase in Small Intestine: The reduction of lactase in the small intestine can be caused by surgery to the small intestine or the use of certain medication. This can affect an individual at any age.
- Illnesses and diseases that affect the small intestine:
- Gastroenteritis: An infection that affects the stomach and intestines.
- Crohn’s Disease: The inflammation of the lining in the digestive system. This disease is a long-term condition.
- Coeliac Disease: Better known as gluten intolerance.
- Long usage of antibiotics
- Ulcerative Colitis: The inflammation of the large intestine. This disease is a long-term condition..
- Chemotherapy: Treatment to kill cancer cells for patients suffering from cancer.
- Ageing: The body naturally loses the ability to produce lactase as one gets older.