27 January commemorates Chocolate Cake Day. No matter where you are in the world, chocolate cake is found in every city, town or village. The best way to celebrate this day is by baking your own cake. Here a great recipe that is dairy-free and gluten-free.
Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake:
Source:Adapated From Sweetapolita’s Chocolate Cake
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tbs (330g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (600g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs (135g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbs baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups soy, almond, or rice milk
- 1 1/2 tbs white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups strong black coffee, hot
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbs vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three, 9 inch cake pans by lining each of them with parchment paper, buttering them, and dusting them with flour.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bow of a mixer.
- Combine the non-dairy milk, vinegar, coffee, oil, vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Beat in the eggs.
- With the mixer on low, carefully combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients while continuing to mix on low speed in order to prevent the batter from splattering out of the bowl. Mix until combined. The batter will be very thin.
- Divide the batter equally between the three prepared pans. Bake for about 30 minutes, rotating pans half way through baking.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before inverting the pans to release the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting.
NB:Yields three, 9-inch cakes
Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups Earth Balance or another non-dairy, non-hydrogenated butter substitute, softened
- 7 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup soy, almond, or rice milk
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for a few minutes until it is creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter.
- In a small bowl mix the non-dairy milk, vanilla, and the salt until the salt is dissolved. Add the mixture to the mixer. Mix until a creamy, smooth texture is achieved.