Recently I wrote an article about how lactose intolerance can cause weight gain. The main reason for why lactose intolerance is a reason for you not losing weight is the consumption of dairy. Many people do not know that their struggle with digesting dairy and experience symptoms of diarrhea, abdominal pain and bloating. These symptoms are the result of being lactose intolerant .
A great way to lose weight is to eliminate dairy, eat clean and start exercising. Two simple exercises that can help with losing belly fat: kettlebell swing and a squat thrust.
Recently, I read an article from the Men’s Health and motivated me to do this exercise.
What makes this exercise so great?
The kettlebell swing and squat thrust exercise is actually more effective than jogging, as it burns more calories. This workout forces more muscles to be in action compared to jogging for the same duration. Additionally, it will boost your metabolism for hours after the workout.
If you one that does not love jogging, a person who doesn’t have much time for the gym or one who simply loves to exercise at home, then this exercise is perfect for you. This exercise is not joint pounding – unlike like that of jogging. It is actually a low impact exercise done at high intensity.
So how do I perform this exercise?
- Firstly, start with 15 repetitions of the kettlebell swing, followed intermediately by 15 reps of the squat thrust.
- Without resting, perform another 14 reps of the kettle swing and squat thrust.
- Continue this exercise in the same pattern by counting down to one rep of each exercise.
For beginners: Start with 8 repetitions. This exercise looks simple, but believe me its NOT! And if you need to catch your breath, stop, rest then continue. Like any exercise, the more often you do it the more easier it becomes.
How do I perform this exercise?
- Stand over your kettlebell with feet hip-width apart (the kettlebell should be in line with the middle of your feet), chest up and shoulders back and down. Remember to choose a kettlebell that allows to perform the perfect swing but at the same time that challenges you.
- Thereafter, squat down and grip the kettlebell with palms facing you and thumbs wrapped loosely around the handle.
- Then, stand up straight while gripping the kettlebell. Keep the kettlebell arms length in front of you. Make sure your shoulder blades are straight.
- Now rock back slightly and “hike” the kettlebell between your legs.
- Then squeeze your glutes, thrust your hips forward forcefully, and swing the weight to shoulder height. Allow momentum to swing the weight—you’re not trying to actively lift it with your arms.
- Start by standing up straight.
- Then, bring your hands to the floor in front of your feet.
- And jump your feet into the plank position.
- Jump your feet back to your hands.
- Lastly, from the crouched position jump up, like you doing a squat jump.
Here a video to demonstrate the exercise:
HOW WILL THIS EXERCISE HELP ME SHRED BELLY FAT?
If you complete the entire routine from 15 down to 1, you would have completed 120 repetitions of each exercise. So there are 2 exercises totaling 240 repetitions. The exercises are done at a fast pace, so it take you approximately 14 minutes to do the complete workout (NOT BAD!). You will feel your muscles are on fire and you will be out of breadth (which is good – it means you had a good workout).
HOW HEAVY SHOULD THE KETTLEBELL BE?
Males that are actively exercising should begin with 16kg (32 lb.) or 20kg (44 lb.) kettlebell. Those men that are inactive should begin with 8kg (18 lb.) kettlebell.
Females that are actively exercising should begin with 12 kg (26 lb) or 16 kg (35 lb) kettlebell. Those females that are inactive should begin with 6kg (18 lb.) kettlebell.
BENEFITS OF A KETTLEBELL SWING:
- Burns turns of calories and burns fat
- Strengthens the posterior chain and core muscles
- Tones the upper back and shoulder muscles
- Provides a good cardiovascular workout
Who would have thought this workout would have such amazing benefits.
Now you have no excuse to not workout. This is perfect if you do not have much time to spare during the day. It is also low cost, so you don’t have to worry about gym fees. Requires low storage space and no worries about driving in traffic so you can workout at the gym. You can do it at your pace at the comfort of your own home.
Have you been losing those extra kilos? Please let me about your thoughts about this workout by posting your comments below.