It’s that time of the year. The birthday of your dearest one. And have no idea how to bake a cake for someone that is gluten or dairy intolerant. Here is the perfect recipe to spoil that special person on their special day.
Author: Sharon Lachendro
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 3/4 C gluten free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C sprinkles
- 1 C coconut milk (from a carton), room temperature
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 C shortening
- 1/2 C dairy-free butter
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- food coloring, optional
- sprinkles, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 2 6-inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line them with parchment paper cut to fit the pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix on low speed until combined. Mix in the sprinkles.
- In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, combine the coconut milk, oil and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use and electric hand mixer to whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Turn the stand mixer on low and slowly pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to medium and mix until combined, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and use a rubber spatula to gently fold half of the whipped egg whites into the batter. Repeat with the remaining egg whites until fully incorporated.
- Gently pour the batter into the two prepared pans, dividing the batter between the two evenly. Bake at 325 degrees for 33-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then remove them from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the shortening and dairy free butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until lumpy. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for about a minute until the frosting is smooth. Add milk, almond extract and food coloring and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides and beat an additional 30 seconds, if necessary.
Frost the Cake:
- Use a serrated knife or cake leveler to level the top of the cakes and cut each cake layer in half to create 4 layers.
- Place one layer on a cake stand and top with about 1/3 cup frosting. Smooth the frosting over the cake and stack another layer on top. Repeat with each layer. With the last layer, frost the tops and sides of the cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Let the cake come to room temperature before serving.
Hope this amazing recipe helps you to celebrate an important day for a special person. Any thoughts or feedback on this recipe, please post your comments below.